Download a pdf of Tina’s 2020 “banquet talk” or read on!
Before addressing the team with my “banquet talk”, I first want to say that I hope you and all of your loved ones are safe and healthy during these challenging times.
With such an unexpected end to a great ski season and because we don’t know when we will be able to have a team gathering, I want to share my end-of-season “banquet talk” electronically.
First, I would like to thank our two biggest sponsors this year, Bernie’s Plumbing and the Boulder Nordic Club.
- Bernie’s Plumbing made a large financial contribution for the 2nd year in a row. Please think of Bernie’s Plumbing for your plumbing issues.
- Our other biggest supporter this year was the Boulder Nordic Club (BNC). Year after year BNC supports our club by paying for space for our ski swap and by giving financial support where the team or athletes have the need. This year BNC elected to donate money in support of coach bonuses. Thank you so much!
- We’d also like to thank Eldora, BNS and Revo for their continued support of our team.
Next, thank you to all of the board members and volunteers who graciously donated so many hours of their time to facilitate the smooth running of the club. Our club is a volunteer-run organization and it takes all of us to keep the program going. Specific shout outs to:
- Pedro Gonzalez – for countless hours attending to van maintenance
- Seneca Murley – for coordinating all of the volunteers
- Kate Sweeney and Alison Hybertson – for running the ski swap – our biggest fundraiser
- Lenora Reynolds – for invoicing after all the races
- Jayne Brooks – for pre-booking the lodging for the races
- John Crimaldi – for overseeing and distributing fleet of team skis
- Liz Harding – for attending to all Safesport issues as mandated by USSA
- Mark Larter – for redoing the BNJRT website and making the online calendar a useful tool again
- Carolyn Martens – for maintaining the team’s presence in social media
- Val Poulin and Lucy Weaver – for putting on the super fun “community” ski-a-thon
- Mike Martin – for serving as the team treasurer and board member for the past 2 years.
Finally, we want to thank all of our wonderful coaches for their hard work, dedication and leadership. Their energy, positivity and enthusiasm throughout the year really contribute to making BNJRT an amazing program. Thank you to:
- Duncan Koehn – as Head Coach, for joining the team in September and graciously figuring out the inner workings of the team on the fly
- Meghan Cornwall – as Head Development Coach, overseeing the U14’s and younger and continuously looking for ways to make the team better
- Eric and Caroline Lustgarten – for 5 years of coaching, getting big air and fun adventure skis
- Kristen Bednar – as a first year coach, great with technique and race advice
- Lander Karath – who has accepted a position as National Campaigns Manager for the National Audubon Society in Washington, D.C. Good luck!!
- Sam Nelson – as a first year coach, enthusiastic – keeping the young ones excited about skiing
- Emily Pickner – for her 3rd year of coaching and always keeping it fun
- Henry Graf – as part-time coach in between adventures, heading off to Stanford in the fall
- Samuel Berets and Madison Larter – for coaching at the U14 championships
The banquet is also the time we like to celebrate the athletes and give special recognition to the seniors. The coaches and board are working on some kind of senior celebration so please stay tuned.
For those of you who don’t know, officer positions on the BNJRT board are two-year terms, and as my term comes to an end in May, I want to thank everyone who has stepped up and helped out over the years. Carolyn Martens will be assuming the role of President and other officer positions will be decided at the annual meeting in June.
As soon as life gets back to “normal”, I look forward to seeing all of you at a team gathering or on the trails next winter.